Sunday, April 24, 2011

Spiritual gifts

The first and only time I experienced unexplainable, exquisite joy that moved me to tears of happiness was when I received the gift of tongues way back in 1985-1986. I was a skeptical onlooker to a prayer group whose members were being prayed over for what I don't exactly recall. Maybe, they were asking for the Holy Spirit to give them the gift of tongues because suddenly a member will chatter in uncomprehensible language. I sat apart from the group with arms crossed over my body unconsciously defensive.

Suddenly, someone came over and asked if they can try to pray over me. After hesitating for a moment, I conceded silently offering a prayer to God for protection. While they laid their hands over me and prayed, I felt a rush of coolness and warmth that produced an exquisite feeling of joy, then I mumbled something I couldn't understand. They were all happy that I can speak in tongues, a newcomer. I don't know if I was ecstatic with the gift but all I remember and yearn for to this today is the feeling of pure joy coursing through my veins.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The gift of the Holy Spirit is given to those who sincerely ask, they may not be spotless from the start but have a sincere intention to change their lives and be with me. The gift comes without a fancy show of thunder and lightning, it happens silently, unobtrusively, you will not know it until you realize it by yourself.

Don't be alarmed, just accept it with gratitude and use it for what it was intended. Be humble and don't boast of it because it might be taken back from you.

No comments: